Puerto Rico is famous for many things – its beautiful beaches, rich culture, and delicious food. But did you know that the island is also home to a thriving coffee culture? Coffee has been an important part of Puerto Rico’s history and economy for centuries, and today, visitors can explore the island’s coffee farms and shops to learn about the production and taste the rich, flavorful brew. In this guide, we’ll take a closer look at Puerto Rico’s coffee culture and guide you to the best coffee farms and shops on the island.
Coffee Production in Puerto Rico
Coffee production in Puerto Rico began in the early 18th century when the Spanish introduced coffee plants to the island. The industry quickly grew, and by the late 19th century, Puerto Rico was one of the largest coffee exporters in the world. Today, coffee production on the island is still a thriving industry, with many small-scale coffee farmers producing high-quality beans.
Amazing Coffee Farms to Visit
Visiting a coffee farm is an excellent way to learn about the process of coffee production and to taste some of the best coffee in Puerto Rico. Here are some of the best coffee farms to visit on the island:
- Hacienda Pomarrosa: Located in the central mountains of Puerto Rico, Hacienda Pomarrosa is a family-owned coffee farm that offers tours of its coffee fields and processing facilities. Visitors can taste different types of coffee and learn about the history of coffee production on the island.
- Hacienda San Pedro: This coffee farm, located in the town of Jayuya, offers tours of its coffee fields and processing facilities, as well as a tasting of its delicious coffee. Visitors can also learn about the history of coffee production in Puerto Rico and the different types of coffee grown on the island.
- Café Gran Batey: This coffee farm, located in the town of Utuado, is known for its organic, shade-grown coffee. Visitors can take a tour of the farm, taste the coffee, and even purchase some to take home.
Best Coffee Shops in Puerto Rico
If you’re looking for a great cup of coffee in Puerto Rico, there are plenty of excellent coffee shops to choose from. Here are some of the best:
- Hacienda San Pedro Coffee Shop: This coffee shop is located on the grounds of the Hacienda San Pedro coffee farm and serves some of the best coffee on the island. Visitors can also enjoy delicious pastries and sandwiches while taking in the beautiful mountain views.
- Cuatro Sombras: This specialty coffee shop in Old San Juan serves a variety of delicious coffee drinks, including espresso, cappuccino, and cold brew. They also offer coffee tastings and tours of their coffee roasting facilities.
- Café Don Ruiz: Located in the town of Ponce, this coffee shop is known for its artisanal coffee blends and delicious pastries. Visitors can also take a tour of the nearby coffee farm to learn about the production process.
Puerto Rico’s coffee culture is a fascinating and delicious part of the island’s heritage. Whether you visit a coffee farm to learn about the production process or stop by a coffee shop to enjoy a delicious cup of coffee, exploring Puerto Rico’s coffee culture is a must-do activity for any coffee lover. So make sure to add these coffee farms and shops to your list of best activities to do in Puerto Rico!